Sunday, January 26, 2014

College Websites: Oh boy!

I do not own the rights to this: found on google.com

So, when I go to look at my school's website, I have to navigate through multiple circles, speed bumps and that sudden "Stop" sign that's been covered by a tree branch. However, this is probably a typical view on university websites. When I was transferring from Lasell College, I was visiting websites in search of downloadable applications, since I prefer paper applications over generic on-line ones, and I found myself having to "Yield" and check the MPH I was skimming the websites. I would actually agree-- with figure 2.2 provided by Chapter 2: "Analyzing Multimodal Projects"-- that university websites are at times, weak at providing students and prospective students the direct services needed. For example, surfing through the Fairfield University website, I cannot easily access a list of majors and the classes needed for that academic concentration. Instead, I will find news about Fairfield successes, which are definitely relevant to me, as they give the institution rigor, but the reality is that I have a need as a student that's being hindered by the image that the web-host provider is "selling" to parents, sponsors, and the alumni that fund the institution. With this said, I believe that the university has tactfully designed their website for a specific audience, which happen to be the ones that can provide the financial stability to effectively run a private institution. This is not bad, it maintains the institution funded, and provides a place for students to express themselves, at the cost of a navigational "hide-and-seek" game. 

taken from http://www.berkeley.edu
What's the front page like? 

Screenshot from http://www.berkeley.edu
__
According to figure 2.2, the University of California at Berkeley has: 
  • Full name of school
  • Alumni in the news
  • Promotion for campus events
  • Press releases (in the form of a blog) 
  • Statement of School Philosophy (on the right hand side photo and a deeper understanding on the tab to the left)
but it does not have: 
  • Campus photo slideshow
  • Letter from the president 
  • and a visual tour
__
Although the UC Berkeley website does not include all the "generics" from figure 2.2, it does include these outstanding perks: 
  • One main image that does not constantly change 
  • A bold statement that exhibits a sense of rigor and academic pride
  • A diverse amount of information 
  • Tabs that are easy to navigate 
  • A direct link to the "directory" 
  • Strong use of color that will translate well to an iPad, cellphone, kindle, etc. 
  • and all these fabulous social media tools: 

             
__

So what's the purpose?
The answer is simple, this website is a direct outlet for prospective students and the current students. It's so brief that one will not waste time looking around. The use of color, visuals, texts, links and tabs is user friendly, preventing a significant technological divide. 


No comments:

Post a Comment